I received a promo code to review the Millie and the Lost Key app on my geek dad blog. The app is really an interactive book with a story about a dog (Millie) and her quest fo find the lost key to endless bacon. This app is actually book two in the Millie Was Here series. The first book, Meet Millie, is available for free for a limited time. Bottom line: it’s not an exciting app, but it is humorous and will appeal to little ones who love dogs. Millie and the Lost Key (Megapops) is available now for $1.99. It is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (3rd generation), iPod Touch (4th generation) and iPad. The app requires iOS 3.2 or later. It’s rated 4+.
What I like about the Millie and the Lost Key App
- There’s something to do on every page (digital pop-ups, mini games, etc)
- There are two modes: (1) read it to me and (2) read it myself
- Hidden stickers on every page (I couldn’t find them all!)
- In read to me mode, the narration sounds very professional
- Words are highlighted in read to me mode
- A portion of all proceeds go to the Petfinder.com Foundation, which helps homeless pets find homes
- The app combines real-life photographs with art and story elements
- There’s a bedtime mode for a calmer experience during nighttime reading
What I didn’t like about the Millie and the Lost Key App
- I didn’t know what I was suppose to do in some of the activities
Here’s an intro from the creators:
Millie is an adorable but mischievous mutt who turns real life into a real adventure, and this is her first full length story. A simple walk in New York’s Central Park quickly becomes a walk on the wild side, as you help Millie explore a “dense jungle” filled with delightful surprises. You’ll learn secrets from a “wise old unicorn,” tame “wild piranhas,” and take on a “band of pirates,” all in a quest for a priceless treasure: The Lost Key to Endless Bacon!