I just downloaded and installed a program called MP4 To MP3 Converter. The software is a Windows utility that quickly converts MP4 videos to MP3 audio files. MP4 To MP3 Converter also converts AVI, MPG, FLV, WMV, MOV and other video formats to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC audio formats. MP4 To MP3 Converter enables you to extracts audio (like songs) from movie files. Right now the company is giving away 50,000 copies of their software. However, the promotion ends on Friday, April 13, 2012.
I used MP4 To MP3 Converter on a MPG movie file and I can tell you it does work. I like it because it’s fast and currently free. In addition to extracting audio from the entire movie, the utility gives you the option to extract a portion of the movie. This is done through its Options menu:
The option to extract only a portion of the audio is very useful, but you have to know the timestamp for the audio/song you want to convert. There is no preview functionality for the software. As a result, I had to play the movie and write down the starting time and duration of the audio I want to pull from the movie file. Even then in took me a few attempts to get it right because the timestamp in Windows Media Player was off.
I also notice a few other issues with MP4 To MP3 Converter:
- The utility looked like it was not doing anything when I clicked on the Convert button. There was a delay of over a minute before the progress status bar changed from 0%.
- The software does not leave the selected movie file open, so you have to to re-add the file for each of your trial and error attempts.
- As far as I could tell, you can’t extract audio directly from a DVD. You have to first convert the movie to a supported format (see below) with another utility.
- The conversion ends if the software detects the same file name for the mp3 file in the output folder. There isn’t a Replace or Save as option so you have to delete the mp3 file if you need to convert the same source file multiple times (for trial and error runs).
- There isn’t a built-in audio player, so you have to launch another program (Windows Media Player) to test the extracted MP3 file.
MP4 To MP3 Converter Supported Source Formats
- MP4 – YouTube/PSP/iPod/iPod Nano/iPhone format
- MPG – variant of the MPEG for broadcast quality video
- AVI – Windows standard video format
- WMV – Zune/Pocket PC format
- MOV – QuickTime Format
- 3GP – Cell/mobile phone format
- WMA – Windows standard audio format
- RMVB – Real Media Video
- RM – Real Media
- RA – Real Audio
- WAV – Wave file
- CDA – CD format
- DAT – VCD format
- VOB – DVD format
MP4 To MP3 Converter Supported Output Formats
System requirements for MP4 To MP3 Converter?
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 or Windows 7 with DirectX 8.0 or higher
- Pentium Processor or better, Pentium 4 or higher recommended
- 128MB RAM or more, 256MB RAM is recommended
- 20MB Hard disk space for installation