Most of us have heard of Little Red Riding Hood. Now there is an app for that too. Actually, there are probably multiple apps based on the classic fairly tale. Today’s review on my geek dad blog is about Little Red Riding Hood by Nosy Crow [disclosure: they sent me a review code]. Unlike a lot of book apps I’ve looked at, the new Red Riding Hood features multiple paths with different endings. For instance, in one story the big bad wolf is scared off by a spider. In another ending, the wolf is taken away by the police. The Little Red Riding Hood app is intended for children ages three to eight. It is designed for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices.
In the app, you help Little Red Riding Hood choose and collect three different objects in the course of her journey through the woods. These objects determine how she defeats the big bad wolf and ultimately saves grandma. In my opinion, the multiple paths with different endings is the best feature of the app. In other apps, you can do different things in each scene. But the story is always the same no matter what you do.
The app features two modes:
- Read and play
- Read by myself with word highlighting (three settings for length of time text should appear)
The Little Red Riding Hood app is priced at $5.99. It’s a little on the high side. But on the plus side, everything is included in the price. You don’t have to pay extra for things in the app. And there are no ads to distract you and your little one.
Little Red Riding Hood Features
- A new form of non-linear narrative storytelling, with eight different routes through the tale
- Nine different games and activities embedded in the story
- Innovative forms of interactivity: blow into the microphone to blow dandelions and a whistle; see yourself in a magical pool with the front-facing camera; tilt the screen to pour honey into a jar, and drag, swipe, tap and zoom to take part in the story and explore more of every scene
- Rich and detailed artwork from the creator of Nosy Crow’s award-winning Cinderella and The Three Little Pigs apps
- Fully animated: characters are constantly on the move
- Hundreds of lines of dialogue for fifteen characters voiced by child actors
- Hundreds of interactive touch-points
- Original music by BAFTA award-winning composer, Robin Beanland
- Text-highlighting to support emerging and early readers